Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Classic crème anglaise gets a warm, fragrant update with a splash of Cointreau brandy.
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and scraped out
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur
- 2 teaspoons Cointreau liqueur
- In a medium saucepan, heat the half-and-half and vanilla to just a simmer, and then immediately remove the pan from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and the sugar until they are smooth and add a small bit of the hot vanilla cream, stirring constantly.
- Immediately transfer the warmed egg mixture back into the hot cream and continue whisking until they are completely incorporated.
- Heat the mixture over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reads 170 degrees on a digital candy thermometer or is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, stir in the Cointreau, and chill the custard completely before serving it.