Recipe by Buster's friend
Decadent, redolent of oranges & bittersweet chocolate, this Cointreau laced dessert nicely caps an evening with friends. Adjust Cointreau to taste - we've been known to tip a wee dram onto servings once plated!! Thank you Mean Chef for awesome pastry cream recipe Recipezaar #37669)! Time to make includes making pastry cream (make it - it's worth it!). Start 3 hours ahead of serving to make the aforementioned pastry cream - I fast chill in the frezer for 25 minutes with Saran wrap on surface to prevent a skin from forming & once chilled proceed with rest of recipe - goes fast after this step! Bon Appetite!!
- 2 cups pastry cream
- 1 angel food cake, storebought
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup Cointreau liqueur
- 30 ounces mandarin orange segments, canned, drained
- 2 ounces giradelli bittersweet chocolate, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Make & chill Lenotre pastry cream.
- While pastry cream chilling, cut angelfood cake into thumb-sized chunkes. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup Cointreau. Set aside.
- Whip cream & add sugar & Cointreau. Beat until stiff peaks develop.
- Assemble as follows: cake layer, pastry cream layer, orange segment layer, whipped cream layer. Generously grate chilled chocolate onto whipped cream. Repeat layers - finish with whipped cream. Garnish with orange segments & grated chocolate. Chill several hours before serving. Voila!