Recipe by Cecily Parsley
Layers of paper thin dough rolled around a honeyed apple filling form a spiral that's elegant and surprisingly easy to make. Use pie apples, such as Golden Delicious.
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 5 cups finely chopped peeled apples (about 4)
- 2⁄3 cup chopped shelled pistachios
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Directions See How It's Made
- Move oven rack to bottom third.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Centre a 9" springform pan on a square of tinfoil. Press foil firmly onto the to side of pan, around the inside. Set aside.
- in bowl, toss together apples, pistachios, flour, honey, lemon rind, lemon juice, and cardamom.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with damp towl to prevent drying out. Brush lightly with some of the butter. Top with second phyllo sheet, brush again.
- Spread one-quarter of the filling in a strip along one long edge of the phyllo, leaving a 1" border at the bottom and sides.
- Fold short edges up over filling, and roll up firmly; brush lightly with butter.
- Place roll, seam-side down, around inside edge of prepared pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 3 more rolls, fitting each into pan to make spiral to cover the bottom (inside) of pan.
- Bake in bottom third of 425° oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375° and bake until golden brown and crisp; about 50 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Run knife around edge of strudel to loosen. remove side of springform pan. transfer to cake plate.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve .
- (You can also do a partial make-ahead. Store at room temperature for up tp 4 hours. Reheat in 355° oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve.).