Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
http://www.cookipedia.co.uk Portuguese A mushroom recipe from Vila Vicosa in Évora in the region of Alentejo. Presunto is the name given to dry-cured ham from Portugal, similar to Spanish jamón or Italian prosciutto.. Serving suggestions Traditionally this is served on slices of fried bread.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs small mushrooms, wiped
- butter or olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 12 slices presunto, diced (my substitute with jamon serrano )
- 1⁄2 lb walnuts, chopped
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 pinch thyme
- seasoning, to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onions until they are soft.
- Add the mushrooms, wine, tomato purée, Tabasco, thyme and seasoning.
- When the mushrooms are almost cooked, drain off the liquid into another pan and reduce this by half.
- Return the liquid to the mushroom. stir in the ham and walnuts and serve.
- If you cannot get the ham, substitute it with 8 rashers of unsmoked back bacon, which have been grilled.
Wowsers, these were good!! Made exactly as written, using portguese ham. Delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Made for ZWT 8 Spain/Portugal for the Lively Lemon Lovelies