This sophisticated sauce will quickly become a favorite at your house. Spoon it over grilled veal chops or a crisp roast duck, and you will present a memorable dish. It is outstanding over noodles for a small but rich first course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the shallots and garlic and saute until transparent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3Then add the cognac and flame.
- 4To do this, remove the saucepan from the heat and touch a lighted match to the edge of the pan; the fumes of the cognac will ignite.
- 5Holding the pan away from you, allow the flames to die down naturally.
- 6Add the stock and cream and simmer over low heat until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 7Add the mushrooms and continue to simmer 3 to 5 minutes more.
- 8Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cognac Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.3
- Calories from Fat 607
- Total Fat 67.4 g
- Saturated Fat 42.1 g
- Cholesterol 224.0 mg
- Sodium 380.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.6 g