Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Don't know where I got this one! It sounds different since there's no sugar or mustard in the marinade. Marination time is included in the time estimation.
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cognac
- 3 lbs beef tenderloin, fat trimmed
- Coat a saucepan with vegetable cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until pan is hot.
- Add shallots and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add thyme and next 4 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Remove and let cool.
- Place tenderloin in a large, heavy-duty, zip top plastic bag and pour the cooled marinade in and seal the bag.
- Shake the bag until the meat is well coated.
- Marinate for 8 hours in the refrigerator, turning the bag occasionally.
- When ready to cook, remove meat from the bag and discard marinade.
- Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan coated with cooking oil spray.
- Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of tenderloin, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and place tenderloin in oven. Now reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 50-55 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 140 degrees for rare, or 160 degrees for medium.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.