Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spanish origin with adaptions. You can serve with cakes,ice cream or fresh peaches. This can be served with chicken or fish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup apricot brandy or 1⁄2 cup peach fruit flavored brandy
- 6 whole graham crackers, crushed
- In a saute pan add olive oil and almonds, saute until roasted. Take off heat.
- In medium sauce pan add water sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cinnamon, cardamon and whole cloves. Simmer and stir about 15 minutes.
- Turn heat to low.
- Take out whole cloves.
- Add half and half and cognac or brandy.
- Add crushed graham crackers to thicken. Stir until mixed, low heat.
- Note: You might add more crushed grahams to have a thick sauce.
- Note: You can crush the almonds after toasting with a mortar and pestle if you want a smooth sauce.