Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Spanish origin with adaptions. You can serve with cakes,ice cream or fresh peaches. This can be served with chicken or fish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup apricot brandy or 1⁄2 cup peach fruit flavored brandy
- 6 whole graham crackers, crushed
- In a saute pan add olive oil and almonds, saute until roasted. Take off heat.
- In medium sauce pan add water sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cinnamon, cardamon and whole cloves. Simmer and stir about 15 minutes.
- Turn heat to low.
- Take out whole cloves.
- Add half and half and cognac or brandy.
- Add crushed graham crackers to thicken. Stir until mixed, low heat.
- Note: You might add more crushed grahams to have a thick sauce.
- Note: You can crush the almonds after toasting with a mortar and pestle if you want a smooth sauce.