Recipe by Marz
From Cook's Country Aug/Sept 2007 edition. This muffin tastes like a coffee cake, it is so good! There is cinnamon sugar streusel in the middle and top of the muffin. Very crunchy and sinful!
Top Review by DuChick
These are *FABULOUS*! I increased the amounts to make 10 jumbo-sized muffins to take to work. They were so moist, tender and beautiful with their high rounded tops, some people thought I had purchased them at a bakery. When I DO open my corner bakery, these will be on the menu! Thanks Marz.
For the Streusel
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
For the muffins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks and softened
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Streusel: Pulse 5 TBSP of granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a food processor until just combined. Reserve 3/4 cup sugar mixture for cinnamon filling.
- Add pecans and remaining granulated sugar to food processor with remaining sugar mixture and pulse until nuts are coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for streusel topping. Do not wash food processor yet.
- For the muffins: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°F Grease muffin tin with cooking spray and line with paper liners.
- Whisk eggs, sour cream, and vanilla in bowl. Pulse flour, sugar baking powder, salt and butter in food processor until mixture resembles wet sand. Transfer to large bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in egg mixture until just combined. Place 1 TBSP of batter in each muffin cup and top with 1 TBSP of cinnamon filling. Using back of spoon, press cinnamon filling lightly into batter, then top with remaining batter. Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over batter.
- Bake until muffins are light golden brown brown and tooth pick inserted into center comes out with a few dry crumbs (about 22-28 minutes) Cool muffins in tin for 30 minutes, then carefully transfer to rack to cool.