Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is lighter than a traditional mousse because there is no cream, but it is still very rich and creamy. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (one envelope)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup hot coffee
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- In small saucepan, soften gelatin in cold water.
- Add hot coffee, 2 T sugar and the evaporated milk.
- Heat to just below boiling, stirring to dissolve gelatin and sugar.
- Beat yolks in small bowl and add small amount of hot milk mixture a tablespoon at a time (about 4 T total) to them, beating until smooth.
- Pour yolk mixture into hot milk in pot and keep stirring until it thickens slightly. DO NOT allow to boil which will cook the egg. Better to undercook than overcook.
- Stir in vanilla extract and cool mixture to room temperature by chilling in freezer for about half an hour. Stir occasionally so it doesn't set.
- Beat egg whites with remaining 4 T sugar until you have a slightly stiff meringue.
- Pour cooled coffee mixture into meringue and beat until smooth and all the meringue is incorporated.
- Pour into 8 small dessert bowls and chill until firm.