Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yummy, pudding, and the flavors all go really well together. This pleases everyone!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 3⁄4 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- whipped cream, to serve
- To make the coffee layer, place 1/2 cup of the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Gradually add one-third of the milk, whisking until well blended. Over medium heat, whisk in one of the egg yolks and bring to a boil, whisking. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter and the instant coffee powder. Set aside in the pan to cool slightly.
- Divide the coffee mixture among six wine glasses. Smooth the tops before the mixture sets.
- Wipe any dribbles on the insidesand outsides of the glasses with damp paper towels.
- To make vanilla layer,place half of the reamaining sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk in 1 1/4 cups of the milk. Over medium heat, whisk in another egg yolk and bring to a boil , whisking. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter and the vanilla. Lt cool slightly, then spoon into the glasses on top of the coffee layer. Smooth the tops and wipe glasses with paper towels.
- To make the chocolate layer, place the remaining sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk and continue whisking until blended. Over medium heat, whisk in the last egg yolk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute, Remove from the heat and stir in remaining butter and the cocoa. Let cool slightly, then spoon into glasses on top of vanilla layer. Chill until set.
- Pipe swirls of whipped cream on top of each dessert just before serving.