Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Choux Pastry Cases (as used for Cream Puffs) filled with a coffee liqueur cream and topped with toffee and almonds. This is enough filling for 6 large or 12 small Choux Puffs. Use home made or store bought.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3⁄4 cup milk (divided)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons coffee liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon toasted flaked almonds, for decoration
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, flour, cornflour and 1/4 cup of the milk in small bowl of electric mixer.
- Beat until combined.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup of milk and coffee powder in saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Gradually add this to egg mixture while continuing to beat on medium speed.
- Once all is added and mixed in, pour mixture back into saucepan and stir constantly over heat until it boils and thickens.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and cool to room temperature.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form, then lightly fold into the cold mixture.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir over heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boiling point and boil rapidly, uncovered, without stirring for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from heat and use to top puffs.
- Cut puffs in half and fill with the coffee cream.
- Top with the toffee and place on the almonds.