Recipe by Mirj
The minute I saw this recipe in a local cooking magazine I knew that I had to make it. I haven't made it yet, but I will for this weekend. It looks so scrumptious and amazing, I can hardly wait. You need some patience to freeze all the layers, but I am sure that it will be really worth it. Prep time includes freeze time.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Did not use the Nutella, so made just the coffee mars bar ice cream, only because I don't have enough room in my freezer to juggle. The flavor of the ice cream was wonderful, topped with the caramel mmmmm.. But I had trouble with cutting through the crust of the cake when I wanted to serve it, it was too hard and came away from the ice cream layer. Next time I will use less butter, only press it down very gently, the taste of the oreo crust was very nice. Wet your knife when you cut it, the caramel layer can get messy!
- 8 ounces Oreo cookies, crushed into crumbs
- 3 ounces melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vanilla ice cream, slightly melted
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua or 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 Mars bars, chopped up
- 1 jar nutella (or other chocolate-hazelnut spread)
- 1 bag caramel, unwrapped
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter and press into the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan.
- It helps if you line the pan with baking paper.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Mix the coffee powder and the liqueur together with the Mars bars into the slightly melted vanilla ice cream.
- Spread 1/3 of this mixture over the cookie crumb crust.
- Place in the freezer until frozen.
- Spread this layer with a generous portion of the Nutella spread.
- Freeze again.
- Repeat with a layer of ice cream, and freeze.
- Repeat with a layer of Nutella and freeze.
- Finish off with a layer of ice cream, and freeze again.
- To make the topping, melt the caramels together with the whipping cream over low heat.
- Let it cool down.
- Take the frozen cake out of the freezer and pour the caramel toffee sauce over the cake.
- Freeze again.
- To serve, run a knife dipped in hot water around the rim of the cake, dislodge from the springform pan, and prepare yourself for ooooohs and aaaaaahs.