Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
I don't remember where I found this recipe. My grandmother, who is a chocoholic, loved it! The chocolate wafer cookies may or may not be difficult to find. If you can't find them, oreos with the filling removed may be used.
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 20 chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Process almonds, cookies and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until ground.
- Stir in 1/3 cup melted butter.
- Press into a 10 inch tart pan and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Heat remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, coffee granules, and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 hot chocolate mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly - 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat. (Mixture will be thick).
- Spread 2/3 chocolate mixture into crust.
- Cool remaining chocolate mixture 30 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Stir 1/3 of whipped cream into remaining chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest of the whipped cream.
- Spread over chocolate layer on tart.
- Cover and chill 2 hours or until firm.