Recipe by Ambervim
Great at coffee time or as a dessert. You could use apricot, strawberry or your favorite jam in place of the cherry jam OR just leave the jam off and make it plain.
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee, essense (or mix instant in hot water, VERY strong)
- 3 ounces flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon hot strong coffee
- 6 tablespoons cherry jam, warmed
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 4 tablespoons chocolate, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butter an 8x12 pan or use silpat and line with waxed paper or parchment.
- Put the eggs, sugar and coffee essence in a large bowl over a pan of hot water and whisk until the mixture is pale and leaves a thick trail.
- Remove from the heat and sift half the flour and salt over the egg mixture. Fold it in, carefully.
- Repeat with the remaining flour and add the hot coffee.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared pan, tilting it until evenly covered.
- Bake just above the center of the oven for 10 minutes or until well risen and springy.
- Have wax or parchment paper drenched in sugar at the ready. Turn the sponge cake onto the paper and foll at once from the short side.
- Cool on a wire rack covered with a dish cloth. Be sure to put the loose end down.
- Whip the cream and liqueur together.
- Warm the jam.
- When cold, carefully unroll the cake and remove the paper.
- Brush with the warm jam and then spread with the cream mixture.
- Sprinkle grated chocolate on top.