Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is not a typical "Coffee Cake" with cinnamon. It is a chocolate chip cake with real coffee. My family gobbles these squares up.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup warm coffee
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the margarine or butter with the sugar.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Then blend in the rest of the ingredients except the chips.
- Spread into a greased 9x13" baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool and then cut into squares.
Really nice recipe. Easy and quick, cake texture with a nice mellow coffee flavor. The crust crisped up nicely and the choc chips didn't sink at all, just melted over the top. Yes its very sweet but I don't have a problem with that. Great with a coffee or warmed as a desert with some ice cream on the side. Many thanks !
This is a nice deviation from the normal coffee cake I usually make. I really like this a lot!
I wanted to use Starbucks Coffee Liqueur instead of coffee so I did and it had a great flavor but it was pretty strong. I think next time I will use 1/4 cup coffee and 1/4 cup of the liqueur. I will be making these again though, especially for company they are a great after dinner snack.