Sponge cakes are great and this one is no exception. Coffee, vanilla and spices, it doesn't get any better than this. Perfect served with ice cream or whipped cream. I have increased the amount of cinnamon, please use the amount that your family prefers.
- 4 tablespoons ground coffee, Colombian
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour, white
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, freshly ground
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 cup sugar (vanilla or white)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
- 1⁄4 cup butter, salted, warm, melted
- Combine coffee and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Steep over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Strain into a measuring cup. T.
- There should be 1/2 cup flavored milk.
- Keep the milk warm on low heat.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs for two minutes at high speed until thick, then slowly add the sugar and beat for 4 to 5 minutes longer until the mixture is very light.
- Using a mixer on low speed, slowly beat in the flavored milk, just until blended.
- Now beat in the vanilla and slowly fold in the flour mixture just until blended, making sure not too overbeat.
- Lastly, fold in the melted butter, gently.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8-inch round cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely, then frost with your favorite chocolate buttercream or coffee frosting.