Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'All Cakes Considered'
Top Review by Fuzzy
First, I was attracted to this recipe by the title, in a search for a spice cake. "Coffee Spice Cake' showed up, and as a coffee lover I could not pass this one up. I read the ingredients, and have everything on hand, so now to the destructions. Anyone who likes coffee and is willing to take time to instruct me on the proper way to grease a bundt pan, has to know something worthwhile. So I baked this cake today,exactly as written, no deviations from the recipe. And is it ever delicious, just perfect for something to go with a good cup of Joe. Note: A special thanks for the bundt pan greasing tip, I am 67 yo, and also learned something worthwhile, as well as having a great cake recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup cold strong coffee
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the coffee; use dark roast.
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat to 350°. Prepare 12-cup Bundt pan as follows: Prepare Bundt pan using the following method—make a paste from 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 tablespoon flour ; apply it with a pastry brush, you can thoroughly coat the surface of the pan, including all the nooks and crannies (or use your preferred method to prepare Bundt pan for baking a cake).
- Cream the shortening using a mixer on medium speed; add in the brown sugar gradually; increase mixer speed to med-high and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Decrease mixer speed to low; add in the molasses, then add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the cream mixture, beat, then add 1/4 cup coffee and beat on medium until blended; repeat two more times.
- Pour batter into the pan, smooth off top with spatula.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, unmold onto a cake rack, and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar or dust with powdered sugar.