Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'All Cakes Considered'
Make and share this Coffee Spice Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup cold strong coffee
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Make the coffee; use dark roast.
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat to 350°. Prepare 12-cup Bundt pan as follows: Prepare Bundt pan using the following method—make a paste from 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 tablespoon flour ; apply it with a pastry brush, you can thoroughly coat the surface of the pan, including all the nooks and crannies (or use your preferred method to prepare Bundt pan for baking a cake).
- Cream the shortening using a mixer on medium speed; add in the brown sugar gradually; increase mixer speed to med-high and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Decrease mixer speed to low; add in the molasses, then add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the cream mixture, beat, then add 1/4 cup coffee and beat on medium until blended; repeat two more times.
- Pour batter into the pan, smooth off top with spatula.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, unmold onto a cake rack, and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar or dust with powdered sugar.
Oh boy do we love this cake! It is just the perfect texture...a bit denser than standard cakes which is exactly what I was hoping it would be as it was served for breakfast. Using the dark brown sugar and molasses really gives this a depth of flavor blended with the spices. I did add a tad more cloves and nutmeg and I really love spices like these. Thanks for a great cake recipe! The prep times are off a bit at the top of the recipe as it takes only a few minutes prep and 45 minutes to bake.