Recipe by Emjay99
Very similar in taste and texture to the ones sold in your favourite coffee shops! Variations are endless.
Top Review by moogot70
As a retire cake designer, I would make around 800 at Christmas for gift so I did a trail batch today seem to do fine my dough was a little sticky I think it was the ex-large eggs all I had, of course I don't have my large commercial oven anymore would bake full sheet pans so these today were a little small I didn't get 40 I like to cut mine at and angle here my Tip: when doing the second bake use a cooling rack instead of a pan this way they get toasted on both side
- 1 (18 ounce) box cake mix, your choice of flavor avoid those with pudding in the mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, substitute with whatever suits the cake mix flavour
- 3⁄4 cup nuts or 3⁄4 cup chocolate piece
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour the cake mix into a mixing bowl. Stir in sifted all purpose flour.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, margarine and vanilla extract.
- With an electric beater mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until the dough does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl. It will look and feel like play dough!
- On a lightly floured board, divide dough into two halves.
- Roll each half into a log about 1" in diameter.
- Roll each log gently to the edge of the board and then continue rolling it onto a lightly sprayed 11” x 15” baking sheet.
- Flatten the top of each cookie log until it is about 3" wide.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 and do not turn off.
- Gently slide one cookie log onto the board that you rolled out the dough on.
- Using a serrated knife or better still an electric carving knife, slice each log across the width into 3/4" slices.
- Place cookies cut side down back onto the baking sheet and return them to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container or freeze.
- Variations include:.
- PECAN BISCOTTI: butter pecan cake mix - chopped pecans - maple extract.
- APRICOT BISCOTTI: golden cake mix - chopped dried apricots - toasted slivered almonds - almond extract.
- CRANBERRY BISCOTTI: vanilla cake mix - chopped dried cranberries - toasted slivered almonds - almond extract.
- ORANGE SPICE BISCOTTI: spice cake mix - walnuts - grated orange zest.
- GINGER BISCOTTI: spice cake mix - walnuts - chopped crystalized ginger pieces.
- CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI: chocolate cake mix - chocolate piece or chips, freeze first so they retain their shape during baking.
- LEMON ALMOND BISCOTTI: lemon cake mix - toasted slivered almonds.