Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very similar in taste and texture to the ones sold in your favourite coffee shops! Variations are endless.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour the cake mix into a mixing bowl. Stir in sifted all purpose flour.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, margarine and vanilla extract.
- With an electric beater mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until the dough does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl. It will look and feel like play dough!
- On a lightly floured board, divide dough into two halves.
- Roll each half into a log about 1" in diameter.
- Roll each log gently to the edge of the board and then continue rolling it onto a lightly sprayed 11” x 15” baking sheet.
- Flatten the top of each cookie log until it is about 3" wide.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 and do not turn off.
- Gently slide one cookie log onto the board that you rolled out the dough on.
- Using a serrated knife or better still an electric carving knife, slice each log across the width into 3/4" slices.
- Place cookies cut side down back onto the baking sheet and return them to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container or freeze.
- Variations include:.
- PECAN BISCOTTI: butter pecan cake mix - chopped pecans - maple extract.
- APRICOT BISCOTTI: golden cake mix - chopped dried apricots - toasted slivered almonds - almond extract.
- CRANBERRY BISCOTTI: vanilla cake mix - chopped dried cranberries - toasted slivered almonds - almond extract.
- ORANGE SPICE BISCOTTI: spice cake mix - walnuts - grated orange zest.
- GINGER BISCOTTI: spice cake mix - walnuts - chopped crystalized ginger pieces.
- CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI: chocolate cake mix - chocolate piece or chips, freeze first so they retain their shape during baking.
- LEMON ALMOND BISCOTTI: lemon cake mix - toasted slivered almonds.
I used vanilla cake mix and walnuts. Flavor was pretty good. The crunch factor was missing a bit. I think I'll have to "dry" them in the oven a bit longer.
Interesting recipe! I needed something to take to work tomorrow that was fast and different! This definitely fit the bill! I made it with lemon cake and added white chips. YUMMY!! HUGE HIT WITH MY COWORKERS!! 6 people asked for recipe!! Thanks again!
I made these with Chai tea, white cake, vanilla, and used pumpkin seeds. While it tasted good, they did crumble alot when I sliced them. will try again with lemon cake, lemon extract, and poppy seeds..