Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is based on a Bobby Flay recipe, modified to use ingredients I commonly have on hand. I also BBQ the steaks instead of pan-frying. The rub adds a very nice spice to these delicious ribeyes!
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup coffee (finely ground)
- 2 tablespoons paprika (Spanish paprika is best)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 rib eye steaks (can use other types of steak as well)
- Mix all spices together in a small bowl.
- Brush steaks on both sides with olive oil.
- Rub each side of the steaks with 1-2 tablespoons of the spice mixture.
- Let steaks stand out of refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat BBQ grill to high.
- Cook steaks directly on grill for 2 minutes, flip and rotate 1/4 turn. Repeat three more times until steaks have been cooking for 8 minutes total, 4 on each side. The rotation will leave nice grill marks on the steaks.
- Move steaks to upper rack of grill, reduce heat to medium, and close lid.
- Continue cooking, flipping every few minutes, until desired doneness is reached. I find 1 1/2 inch thick steaks generally take 16-18 minutes of total cooking time to reach Medium rareness.