Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Haven't tried this myself (hate coffee) but people love it when I make it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄3 cup soft brown sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 2 cups pecans
- Preheat oven to moderate 180 degrees. Brush an 18x27 cm shallow rectangular tin with melted butter or oil. Line with baking paper, extending over two sides.
- Place flour, icing sugar and butter in food processor bowl. Using pulse action, press button for 1 minute or until mixture comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently for 30 seconds or until smooth. Press into prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes or until it is just golden. Cool completely in tin on a wire rack.
- FOR TOPPING: Combine syrup, cream, sugar, butter, eggs and coffee in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour topping onto pastry base and bake for a further 25 minutes, until set. Cool completely in tin. Lift out and cut into squares.