These scones from the Dundee Hazelnuts & The Oregon Hazelnut Industry, look really good. I hope to try them soon.
- Measure milk and stir in instant coffee.
- Put flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; stir to mix well.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine granules.
- Add sugar and hazelnuts; toss to distribute evenly.
- Stir in milk mixture; pour into the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop 1/4 cup portions of dough and place about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425ºF for about 15 minutes or until the dough colors, but does not get dark brown.
- Put scones on a dish towel on a wire rack.
- Cover loosely with cloth and cool 1-2 hours before serving.
These are really outstanding! The amount that it makes is off . I wanted 6 but knew by the amounts that I'd not get that many using the requested 1/4 cup measure so I made the recipe for 10 and got 7 using scant 1/4 cups. I used skim milk, 2 tsps of espresso powder, 2 Tb of heart healthy margarine and 2 TB of canola oil and finally 2 TB of Splenda Brown Sugar. I got lovely scones with a rich but not to strong coffee flavor that developed a love affair with the hazelnuts. What a wonderful combo. Thanks Vic for this keeper. Made for Photo Tag.