Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a really tasty recipe with the hazelnuts and coffee. My DH just loves it. Can't keep enough of them around! Great for breakfast, snacks, having with coffee, and packing in lunches! :)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and 1 tbsp.
- instant coffee.
- Add to dry ingredients, mixing until just blended.
- Stir in hazelnuts.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 5-6 times, but not too much or it makes the dough tough.
- Cut the dough into three parts; cut each part into fourths.
- Pat each part into a patty or roll and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees F.
- for 10-12 minutes or until light golden.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
- Prepare glaze by mixing 1 tbsp.
- water with 1/4 tsp.
- instant coffee; add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, stirring until well blended.
- Drizzle over scones with a spoon, adjusting consistency, if necessary with a little water or more sugar.
I just finished baking these scones and they are great! I didn't have hazelnuts but used pecans instead. Its quick & easy to make with ingredients you usually have in the house.
Good! They were cakier that I expected but that was very nice in itself. It wouldn't hurt to add just a touch more sugar but it completely depends on your taste. Very nice as is. I substituted almonds for the hazelnuts and that worked well. Good breakfast/snack food.
Very good scones! I doubled the amount of sugar, and used half the amount of nuts .. I also topped them with a chocolate glaze .. thanks!