Recipe by lazyme
From Cooking Light, November 2000. I have not made these yet, so the times are guesstimates.
Top Review by Annacia
Yummmm! This one is a total winner. Baked up perfectly in 20 mins. The only change I made was to increase the cinnamon to 1 tsp and to use skim milk. The coffee, cinnamon and walnuts are great together. Easy to make as a Sunday morning breakfast (or anytime you want them). Thanks for a lovely recipe Lazy. Made for Photo Tag.
- 2⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Direction Notes:.
- Cut through the circle of dough, but do not separate the wedges. This allows them to bake as one large scone, and they will be much moister than scones baked separately.
- Combine 2/3 cup milk and the coffee granules in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at high 1 minute; stir until coffee dissolves.
- Cover and chill completely.
- Stir in vanilla and egg.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- (The flour mixture and butter can also be combined in a food processor; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.)
- Stir in walnuts.
- Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands.
- Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Cut dough into 10 wedges; do not separate.
- Brush the dough with 2 teaspoons milk; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned.
- Serve warm.
- (serving size: 1 wedge).