1/2 Photos of Coffee Nut Scones
From Cooking Light, November 2000. I have not made these yet, so the times are guesstimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1Direction Notes:.
- 2Cut through the circle of dough, but do not separate the wedges. This allows them to bake as one large scone, and they will be much moister than scones baked separately.
- 4Combine 2/3 cup milk and the coffee granules in a microwave-safe bowl.
- 5Microwave at high 1 minute; stir until coffee dissolves.
- 6Cover and chill completely.
- 7Stir in vanilla and egg.
- 8Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 9Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- 10Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 11(The flour mixture and butter can also be combined in a food processor; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.)
- 12Stir in walnuts.
- 13Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
- 14Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands.
- 15Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 16Cut dough into 10 wedges; do not separate.
- 17Brush the dough with 2 teaspoons milk; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- 18Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned.
- 19Serve warm.
- 20(serving size: 1 wedge).
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee Nut Scones
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.7
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g