Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this in a book I borrowed from the library, Maxwell House Coffee Drinks and Desserts Cookbook, I haven't made these yet, but I want to add these to my sweets tray this Christmas so I'm saving the recipe here.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, i intend to try firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Coffee Nut Topping
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9" square non-stick baking pan with cooking spray (or line a regular 9" square pan with foil and spray with cooking spray).
- Mix the flour and 1/4 cup sugar until well combined and lump-free, add 1/2 cup melted butter and blend.
- Press flour mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned, cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Mix the egg and the instant coffee, add the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla and stir until well blended.
- Mix in the nuts, then spread evenly over the warm crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the topping is firm around the edges and slightly soft in the middle.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into 18 bars.