Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother gave me this recipe a long time ago. She has been making it forever. I believe she told me she got it off the back of a coffee jar. :) I usually double it and put in 9x9 to make thicker bars (longer cooking time so be sure to check it).
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped (I've also used chocolate chips)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve coffee in hot water; set aside. Put butter and sugars in mixing bowl and combine. Stir in egg and vanilla.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda alternately with coffee.
- Spread evenly into 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan then dust with powdered sugar. (I like to cover my pans not long after coming out of oven to keep the moisture in for chewiness). :).
I didn't like them much.I am a coffee person but somehow these did not appeal to me.sorry!
So light and yet dense. I know that makes no sense but they were cakey yet the flavour was light. You didn't mention when to add the nuts so I just sprinkled my pecans on top. The batter seemed too little to put into an 8x8 pan so I made cupcake brownies with them. Just a touch too much batter for 6 cupcakes but didn't want to dirty a pan for just 1 :) The center sank in the cupcakes, but we didn't care!
These bars are a wonderful treat! I couldn't decide between pecans and chocolate chips so I used both! My bars came out nice and moist, almost chewy, and the powdered sugar was a perfect topping. Thanks for sharing this recipe!