Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an altered recipe from another I found on food.com (original: http://www.food.com/recipe/coffee-mocha-icing-211083). This recipe has more coffee which makes it more viscous. The group I made it for looooved it though, so I figured I would go ahead and write it down. Enjoy!
- 3 cups very strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (or more if you want)
- 5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours and stir occasionally (heat on low - my stove was on 2 and I would turn it down to 1 when it began to bubble).
- **You can thicken the mixture with more confection sugar, but it might take away from the coffee flavor.
- You can either pour the hot mocha icing directly on your cake or let it cool first. I poured the icing directly on the cake and then put the whole thing in the freezer for about an hour and a half. The icing was still viscous, but was more similar to the consistency of chocolate syrup than the consistency of light dressing like it was straight off of the stove.