Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe in Bon Appetit (August 2000). I was looking for an ice cream cake that included coffee ice cream and soothed my chocolate craving. This is it!! **Alternative: double the crushed cookies and add the layer between the ice cream and chocolate topping Yummy!**
- 6 ounces chocolate wafer cookies, crushed into pieces (about 26 cookies)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 quarts coffee ice cream, slightly softened
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate-covered coffee beans
- 2 1⁄4 cups whipping cream, chilled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Blend cookies in processor until finely ground. Add melted butter; process until crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Place ice cream in large bowl. Finely chop coffee beans in processor. Add to bowl with ice cream; stir until well blended. Transfer ice cream mixture to crust-lined pan. Smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight.
- Combine whipping cream and vanilla in another large bowl. Sift powdered sugar and cocoa over. Using electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Spread mixture over top of cake. Freeze until cream is set, at least 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; keep frozen.) Sprinkle chocolate shavings over top of cake. Run knife between pan sides and cake to loosen. Remove pan sides. Using small metal spatula or knife, smooth cake sides. Let cake stand at cool room temperature 10 minutes before serving.