Recipe by Perfect Pixie
This recipe is another from the tsunami cookbook my class made together. For the most subtle flavor be sure to use instant coffee powder
- 75 g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder, tsps
- 4 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 425 ml double cream
- 450 g summer fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- pre-heat oven to 140 degrees.
- begin by sifting the icing sugar and the coffee powder together.
- in a seperate bowl, whisk egg whites on high speed until start to stiffen.
- slowly add caster sugar while still whisking.
- turn of machine.
- vigerously beat in the sifted icing sugar and coffee powder using a slotted spoon.
- spoon mixture onto center of a lined baking sheet and then using a palette knife, spread a circle roughly 28cms in diameter and about 2cm thick.
- place into center of pre-heated oven and cook for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- by which time the meringue should look cracked on the top and still a litle soft in the center.
- remove from the oven.
- carefully lift off paper and set to wire rack to cool.
- when ready to serve.
- whisk cream until it just holds and then spread loosely over the top of the meringue.
- scatter the summer fruits of your choice liberally over the top of the cream, and cut into slices.