Recipe by nadia murray
This recipe is one that my mom made while I was growing up and was one of my favorites. It comes from a little recipe booklet titled "Fun with Coffee" from the 1950's. I love coffee and these are basically coffee flavored crumb cakes.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Made for Fall PAC 2008 - Tasty, tender muffins with only a slight coffee flavor - the cinnamon in the crumb topping made the house smell so good while they baked! Although the recipe says it makes 12 muffins, I got 18 regular sized muffins filled 2/3 full, and they baked in 25 minutes. NOTE: I assumed the recipe should read 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and that is what I used!
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in large bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter to form crumbs.
- Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for topping.
- Combine coffee, evaporated milk and baking soda.
- Add to remaining flour mixture and mix well.
- Add beaten eggs.
- Spoon into well greased or paper lined muffin cups filling half to 2/3 full.
- Add cinnamon to topping mixture and sprinkle over batter in pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tests done.