Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Similar to rum balls, but with a coffee-Kahlua flavour instead. From Chatelaine magazine.
- 250 g vanilla wafers or 250 g purchased vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup Kahlua or 1⁄3 cup other coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, for rolling
- Pulse wafers in a food processor until finely ground.
- Stir coffee granules in Kahlua until dissolved. Stir in corn syrup, 1 cup icing sugar and crumbs until evenly mixed. Stir in nuts.
- Shape mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper lined tray or baking sheet.
- Roll balls in 1/2 cup icing sugar.
- Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between the layers and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks but at least overnight. Flavours improve with time.
Made them to use up a bag of gluten and fructose free cookies which were impossible to eat... I think this recipe improved the cookies very much, but the cookies didn't improve the recipe. I don't like the strong Kahlua taste, so I gave them to MIL who said they were good. Made for Comfort Cafe Snowqueen's Round 2010.
This has a mild Kahlua flavor-very nice! It was very easy to put together but I had to fight the mix into balls. LOL! It was really sticky. I used almonds that I ran through the food processor. Thanks so much for posting! Made for the Comfort Cafe event.
These are amazing! So easy and so delicious, more mellow tasting than traditional rum balls. The flavour really does improve over a few days so plan to make them ahead of time. I've made these for Christmas the last two years and they always disappear quickly from the cookie plate.