Prep 1 min
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons fine ground coffee or 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 egg, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- Heat the milk and sugar to the boiling point. Remove from the heat and sprinkle on the coffee.Let stand for 2 minutes, then stir, cover and cool.
- In a heatproof bowl, beat the egg and extra yolks until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Strain coffee mixture into a pan, heat to the boiling point, then pour onto the eggs in a steady stream, beating hard all the time.
- Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir until it thickens. Cool, then chill in the fridge.
- Whip the cream with the sugar. Fold it into the coffee custard and freeze in a covered container. Beat twice at hourly intervals, then let freeze until firm.
- To caramelize the pecans, preheat the oven to 350°F Spread the nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Put them into the oven for 10-15 minutes to toast, until they release their fragrance.
- On the top of the stove dissolve the brown sugar in 2 tablespoons water in a heavy pan, shaking it around over low heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup clears.
- When the syrup begins to bubble, add the toasted pecans and cook for a minute or two over medium heat until the syrup coats and clings to the nuts.
- Spread the nuts on a lightly greased baking sheet, separating them with the tip of a knife, and let cool. Store when cold in an airtight tin if they are not to be used the same day.
- Transfer the ice cream from the freezer to the fridge 30 minutes before serving. Serve with caramelized pecans.