Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
very intense coffee ice cream Source: "Fine Cooking"
Make and share this Coffee Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup coffee beans, roasted for 10 minutes at 400 degrees f and crushed
- 8 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and crushed coffee beans to just under a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let stand at least 1 hour for the beans to infuse their flavor.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Pour the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking until well blended.
- Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly, enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve and chill.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.
This was, as the recipe states, an extremely intense coffee flavor -- almost too much so. I imagine it would change with the beans you used and mixed and how long you roasted the beans for. I think if I made it again, I would use some Mocha and regular coffee. However, I have a Kitchen Aid ice cream maker and I couldn't get this recipe to "expand" much so I won't be making it again. I made the recipe as noted and chilled overnight. I will note that what ice cream I did get made, it was very smooth, but extremely hard (and it's not from my freezer temp). This was good...but my search continues. Thanks for sharing.
While labour intensive, this ice cream is decadent!!! I found this recipe off the internet years ago and used it to make a Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart. Although the tart was very simple, it was definately memorable! Thanks for doing the posting...saved me from typing the recipe out!!!