Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from "Best of the Best of Georgia." I have not tried this yet. Makes about 3 quarts ice cream batter, which will freeze up as more. If you have a small machine, only pour in as much batter as your machine requires (usually 1 quart batter freezes to about 1 1/2 quarts ice cream in an electric machine).
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts heavy cream, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup instant coffee crystals
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, condensed milk, and salt until thick and smooth in a very large heatproof bowl.
- Heat 2 cups of the cream with the regular milk, bringing this to a full rolling boil.
- Slowly pour some of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to mix in quickly so the eggs do not scramble.
- Add the rest of the milk mixture slowly, still whisking fiercely, and mix to combine.
- Return entire mixture back to the pan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mxiture thickens slightly and a finger drawn down the back of the spoon leaves a clear line.
- Strain mixture through a mesh strainer over a large bowl.
- Whisk in coffee crystals until dissolved.
- Add vanilla and the remaining cream.
- Chill in fridge until very cold.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- NOTE: Once your freezing cycle has completed on your machine, the consistency may be soft- you may wish to ripen the ice cream by storing it in an airtight container in your regular freezer until firm; this will especially be the case when using smaller capacity electric machines.