Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
An infusion of creamy chocolate and rich coffee! Enough to make one's tastebuds melt! This creation I made up was inspired by one of Iron Bloomers recipes- Coffee Jello. (Forgive me IB for using instant granules!) I topped off this recipe with a splash of Kahlua, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I didn't know if I was in a caffeine stupor or in love! What a fantastic combination!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a double boiler mix the salt, cinnamon, cornstarch, sugar, and milk.
- Stirring constantly cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Pour 1 cup of hot mixture in with the beaten eggs and stir.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pot along with the chocolate bits and continue cooking until thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the instant coffee and vanilla.
- Serve warm or allow to cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap for a softer set.
- Serve with a dollop of whip cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and or a splash of Kahlua.
Wow is this rich. I liked it better cold after sitting overnight in the frig.
I think I've died and gone to chocolate and coffee heaven. This is so good, it'll make you want to slap your mama. It was very easy to make. I didn't have a double boiler, so I used a saucepan over medium heat and didn't have any problem. I also used semisweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate, since that's what I had on hand. It tasted so good warm, I didn't want to let it cool, but it's good chilled as well. Definitely a keeper!