Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious coffee cake from the famed espresso chain. You'll earn brownie points with your co-workers if you bring this in to work with you!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Make topping by combining 1 cup flour with brown sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl.
- Mixture should have the consistency of moist sand.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add this dry mixture to the moist ingredients a little at a time.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 13 baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with a light coating of flour.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter.
- Be sure the topping completely covers the batter.
- Bake 50 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Cool.
I have never had this or any other cake/pastry at Starbucks, so I can't really compare it, but it was a simple recipe for coffee cake. I would probably suggest starting w/less butter for the topping and gradually add more as needed for the correct consistency...mine came out a little too "wet" because I put it al in at once, then again, I also melted the butter, maybe that's what the problem was? The cake wasn't very thick either, maybe use a smaller pan next time so it's not so flat. But the taste was great, and I love the topping, kinda crunchy, I only had chopped walnuts.
I made this wonderful cake tonight and it was a great hit!!! It does taste like star bucks Coffee Cake. DON"T MELT BUTTER make just as the recipe says. Just checking at about 40. Min.
Ok this was very good! I've made this twice in the last week. The first time I made it in a bundt pan. So the topping became the bottom. I made it again yestrerday in a 9x13 pan and made double the topping. I put about 1/2 the batter in the ban then put 1/2 the topping on top of the batter. Then carefully spread the rest of the batter on top. Put the remaining topping on and then bake as directed. It was very good this way, with the ripple of the topping going through the middle.