1/1 Photo of Coffee Hazelnut Scones
I found this recipe in Biscuits and Scones by Elizabeth Alston. It sounds really good and I hope to try it soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Put hazelnuts in a baking pan with sides and bake for 15-20 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the skins split and the nuts are lightly browned.
- 3Pour the nuts into a dish towel; gather the towel around the nuts and rub them hard through the towel for a minute or so to loosen the skins.
- 4Pick out the nuts and coarsely chop in a food processor or by hand with a chef's knife.
- 5Turn oven up to 425 degrees F.
- 6While the nuts are toasting, measure milk and stir in the instant coffee.
- 7Put flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; stir to mix well.
- 8Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine granules.
- 9Add sugar and hazelnuts; toss to distribute evenly.
- 10Stir milk mixture; pour into the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- 11Scoop 1/4 cupfuls of dough and place about 2-inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 12Bake about 15 minutes or until the dough colors but does not get dark brown.
- 13Put scones on a dish towel on a wire rack; cover loosely with the cloth and let cool 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee Hazelnut Scones
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.0
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.8 mg
- Sodium 175.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 4.4 g