Recipe by KLHquilts
From "The Best of Cooking Light" ... but I've tweaked it to reflect my personal tastes. (The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of Frangelico; I've used two tablespoons of Kahlua. I've also chosen to use two eggs and one egg white, instead of two egg whites and one egg I like a slightly richer biscotti.)
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coffee beans, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Place Kahlua in a small bowl. Microwve on high for ten seconds.
- Stir in cocoa and espresso powder until smooth.
- Add oil, eggs, and egg white, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add flours, sugars, two tablespoons of hazelnuts, baking soda, and salt in a food processor, and processor until hazelnuts are ground.
- Add ground coffee, and pulse two times or until mixture is blended.
- With processor on, slowly add Kahlua mixture through the food chute, processing until dough forms a ball.
- Add remaining six tablespoons of hazelnuts, and pulse five times or so until well blended. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface, kneading lightly four or five times. Divide into three equal portions, shaping eahc portion into a 10"-long roll.
- Place rolls 3" apart on a baking sheet coated with baking spray. Flatten slightly.
- Bake at 300 for 28 minutes. Remove from oven, and remove rolls from baking sheet; cool for ten minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut each roll diagnoally into 20 half-inch slices. Place the slices, cut sides down, on baking sheets. Bake at 300 for 20 minutes.
- Turn cookies over and bake an additional ten minutes.
- Remove cookies from baking sheets; cool completely on wire racks.