Recipe by littleturtle
A rich, spicy, sweet coffee delight. You can sub 1 1/2 teaspoons of rum flavored extract for the dark rum for a non-alcoholic version.
Top Review by Baby Kato
I enjoyed this very much. I took Rita's suggestion and used spiced rum, but also added all the listed spices, for a real intense flavour. I added 1 tangerine rind and 1 meyer lemon peel to the rum and spices while cooking, to help release more of the citrus oils. This was a nice, rich, smooth, citrusy, spicy coffee which I will make again. Thanks for sharing Little Turtle.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2-1 cup brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark rum (I like Meyer's)
- 12 slices orange rind
- 12 slices lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 9 cups coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Blend in the sugar, spices, and rum.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place one piece of orange peel and one piece of lemon peel into each mug.
- Mix 3/4 cup coffee and 2 tablespoons cream together with 2 tablespoons of the spiced rum mixture in each mug (only 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture if you subbed extract for the rum).
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.