Recipe by JAK
Caffè Gelato con Buccia d'Arancia. A traditional gelato with the refreshing flavours of espresso and oranges. I whipped up this recipe as a way to use up some whole milk on a hot spring day. You'll need some sort of ice cream maker to freeze this properly. The ground espresso adds a speckled colour and interesting texture, but is optional.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 ounces espresso
- 1 tablespoon ground espresso beans
- 1⁄2 tablespoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs lightly, whisk into milk and sugar.
- Heat mixture over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove the resulting custard from heat, and pour into chilled bowl.
- Stir in espresso, orange zest, and coffee grounds.
- Chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Freeze mixture according to ice cream maker instructions.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container, press plastic wrap across the surface of the gelato, snap on lid, and place in freezer to hard-freeze.
- To serve, place gelato in fridge approximately 20 minutes before serving to soften.