Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple, straightforward, tasty nuggets of goodness. Just by changing the coffee to vanilla or some other extract you can make something new.
- 8 ounces fresh milk
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons coffee extract (3 tsp instant coffee & 3 tbs hot water if you don't have the essence)
- walnuts, pecans or almonds
- vanilla, -omit coffee an add vanilla extract instead (or another flavor)
- Pour the milk into a medium heavy-based saucepan, with a sugar thermometer attached, and bring slowly to the boil.
- Add the sugar and butter. Heat slowly, stirring continuously, until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. Bring to the boil, cover and boil for 2 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to boil steadily, stirring occasionally, for 15 - 20 minutes, until the temperature reaches the soft ball stage 116°C (235-240°F), when a little of the mixture, dropped into a cup of cold water, forms a soft ball when rolled between finger and thumb.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coffee flavoring (nuts if adding) and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the fudge until it just begins to lose its gloss and is thick.
- Transfer to a greased 7 inch square tin.
- Mark into 50 squares when almost set.
- When firm and set, cut along the marked lines.
- Store in an airtight container.
DO NOT COOK TO 270 degrees Fahrenheit. Soft-ball stage on the Fahrenheit scale is 232-238. 270 F. is soft-crack--and will not produce fudge-like texture.