Recipe by Annacia
There is something different in the world of fruitcake after all. Recipe makes two.
Top Review by deborahstanley6
This recipe is woefully short of flour. The cakes would not set up, and were a total loss. Upon checking another site after my cake fail, I found the same recipe that called for 3 1/2 c of flour. Very expensive error, I will verify all recipes in the future from this site.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lb dried currants or 3 1⁄3 cups dried currants
- 1 lb raisins or 3 cups raisins
- 1 cup lukewarm strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses (not robust or blackstrap)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 250°F.
- Brush 2 9x5x3 loaf pans lightly with oil, then line bottom and sides with foil, pressing corners to help adhere.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Toss currants and raisins with 2 tablespoons flour mixture in a bowl.
- Stir together coffee and baking soda in a small bowl until dissolved.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, 2 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in molasses.
- Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and coffee mixture alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until just smooth.
- Fold in dried fruit mixture.
- Divide batter between loaf pans and smooth tops by gently rapping bottom of each pan against counter.
- Bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of each cake comes out clean, 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 hours (cakes may sink slightly in center).
- Cool pans on racks 10 minutes, then loosen foil from sides of pans with knife and turn out cakes onto racks.
- Peel off foil and cool cakes completely, about 3 hours.