Recipe by Gerry Sans Sandunes
From food-writer/critic JOANNE KATES Cookbook. Ms Kates suggest making this "with heavy cream while courting", then "after things have settled down and complacency has caused unwanted pounds to appear, switch to milk."
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream or 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups very strong coffee or 1 1⁄4 cups espresso
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Scald milk or cream Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until foamy.
- Add the milk or cream and the coffee and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into individual custard cups OR one 6-cup baking dish, and set in pan of hot water in a pre-heated oven. (The water should come half-way up the sides of the dish.).
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until a knife inserted in the centre comes out dry. (A 6-cup dish will take at least 15 minutes longer than individual custard cups.).
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.