Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nutritional Information CALORIES 192(27% from fat); FAT 5.8g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 3g; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 19mg; SODIUM 173mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.8g If you prefer a single-layer cake to cupcakes, use a 9-inch square baking pan or round cake pan. Bake the cake at 350º for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso granules or 8 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules or 1⁄4 cup instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cupcakes, combine 2 tablespoons boiling water and 4 teaspoons espresso, stirring until espresso dissolves. Stir in buttermilk.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place 3/4 cup granulated sugar, butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- To prepare syrup, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons espresso, corn syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Pierce the cupcake tops several times with a wooden skewer. Brush espresso syrup evenly over the cupcakes. Cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This recipe is amazing! The cupcakes come out with a perfect coffee flavor and they rise very nicely. The cupcake is also at the perfect consistantcy its not to moist or dry and its not super crumbly.Though I didnt use the syrup recipe, instead i used a caramel recipe.