Recipe by Mary Close
The coffee and toffee flavors of this crunchy dessert are heightened by the dark brown sugar and espresso powder. This recipe is from Bon Appetit's special feature magazine for February 2009. The recipe calls for 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons butter. RecipeZaar had trouble recognizing the format, so it listed the measurements separately. The butter all goes in at the same time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Whisk first 3 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in another medium bowl until blended, about 2 minutes. Add espresso powder and almond extract; beat 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture in 3 additions, mixing until just absorbed after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips and almonds. Dough will be thick.
- Turn dough out onto ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Using hands, press dough into 12 inch square. Pierce all over with fork at 1 inch intervals.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on sheet pan 1 minute. Cut into 48 bars. Immediately transfer to rack to cool. Bars will crisp as they cool.