Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Creme Caramel is one of the loveliest desserts I know of. Light and cool and slightly bitter-sweet (the caramel). The coffee in this version adds another dimension.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee granules (espresso is good)
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 330°F Place six, ½ cup ramekins in baking pan large enough to hold them. Place pan in oven until ramekins are hot, about 10 minutes.
- Bring 1 cup sugar and ¼ cup water to boil in small pan, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling, without stirring, until golden-brown, swirling occasionally, about 6 minutes. Immediately pour into ramekins, distributing evenly. Quickly rotate ramekins to coat sides (wear oven gloves as ramekins will be HOT!). Cool.
- Bring milk to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in coffee granules.
- Whisk eggs, yolks and 1/3 cup sugar to blend in large bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Stir in rum. Divide among ramekins.
- Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake until edges are set, about 1 ¼ hours. Remove from water and refrigerate about 6 hours.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of cooled custards to loosen. Invert onto plates and serve.