Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
For all you coffee lovers out there!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together yolks, whole egg, and granulated sugar.
- In a heavy saucepan heat cream and milk over moderately high heat until mixture just comes to a boil and stir in espresso powder and Kahlua, stirring until powder is dissolved.
- Add milk mixture to egg mixture in a stream, whisking, and skim off any froth.
- Divide custard among eight 1/2-cup ramekins set in a roasting pan and add enough hot water to pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake custards in middle of oven until they are just set but still tremble slightly, about 40 minutes.
- Remove ramekins from pan and cool custards.
- Chill custards, covered loosely with plastic wrap, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Set broiler rack so that custards will be 2 to 3 inches from heat and preheat broiler.
- sift brown sugar evenly over custards and broil custards until sugar is melted and caramelized, about 2 minutes.
- Alternatively, raw sugar may be sprinkled over custards and caramelized with a blowtorch.
- Chill custards for up to 3 hours.