Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love desserts w/the flavor of coffee. This coffee dessert by Carol Cutler from "6-Minute Souffle & Other Culinary Delights" has the added advantage of being able to be made the day before a spec occasion. Ms. Cutler may be able to make this in 6 min, but I estimated the time more reasonably & kept in mind that we (you & me) do not have an extra pair of hands to assist us in our kitchens! Enjoy!
- 1 cup coffee (strong & freshly made)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Pour milk into a 1 qt saucepan. Stir coffee into the milk & slowly bring the mixture to the boiling point.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs & egg yolks in a lrg mixing bowl & beat together thoroughly w/a wire whisk. Then beat in the cream & sugar.
- When the milk mixture reaches the boiling point, slowly pour it into the egg mixture, beating vigorously w/the whisk. Add the vanilla extract & beat again.
- Pour half of the coffee cream into a 10-in pie dish or 6-cup souffle dish. Set the dish in a shallow pan filled w/boiling water to reach halfway up the side of the dish.
- Working quickly, transfer the dish to the preheated oven & pour the rest of the coffee cream into the dish.
- Reduce the oven temp to 325°F (160°C) & bake the coffee cream for 1 1/4 hours or till a knife plunged into the center comes out clean & dry.
- Remove the dish from the oven & allow to cool to room temperature. Cover & refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours to overnite.
- NOTES: It was strongly emphasized that this dessert must be served icy cold. No other serving suggestions were included, but how could it be wrong to serve in goblets w/a sprinkle of choc shavings? NOT!
Yummy! The coffee isn't too overpowering and its nice and creamy!
i really like this it is so creamy.....but it does need to stayas cold as you can get it. lovey light flavor thanks for sharing!!!!happy to have tagged it i also like it twisted style with real whipped cream and chocolate shavings